Welcome To

Welcome To

Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Am I Crazy?

On Friday morning, I headed out to an estate sale about 25 miles out of town.  It didn't start until noon but I thought I would go and put my name on the list and then go run a couple of errands until it started.  This sale was out in the country and this is usually a pretty good indication that it will be a good sale.  When I went to put my name on the list, there was a sign on the door saying that once your name was on the list, you couldn't leave.  I added my name to the list (#6!) and silently thanked Miss Maddie for leaving the ipad in the car.  While I waited for the sale (3 hours & 15 minutes) I could catch up on some of my favorite tv shows that I was behind on.

Most of you are probably wondering what in the world could this sale possibly have that would warrant a 3+ hour wait.  Two days prior I was looking at the photos for this sale on the estate sale companies website and there was one particular thing that caught my eye. I dreamt about this item for two nights and was obsessed with snatching it up.

Finally it was time to line up.  This was a HUGE sale customer wise.  When I got in line, I glanced at the list and there were 182 names on it.  There was even a reporter and a photographer there from our local newspaper.  They interviewed me and took some pictures and then asked if they could shadow me once I was in the door.  Sure, why not?  It's not like I was on a top secret mission.

They let the first 30 people in and I knew exactly where to go.  I had been at the house long enough to study the layout and knew that my prized possession was in one of the bedrooms off to the right of the front door.  I had another lady hot on my heels but I out aged her by about 30 years so I wasn't worried.  Then, I spotted it.....
A Gene Autry Melody Ranch chenille bedspread!  I snatched it up and stuffed it in my tote bag.  I have seen these only at two auctions and they always go for ridiculous amounts of money.  I'm still not 100% sure of what I am going to do with it but I do know one thing....this is an excellent piece of collectible Americana.  I LOVE IT!  Evidently, I'm not the only one who was coveting this bedspread. The lady who was on my heels was going for it too and when I grabbed it all she said to me was "Good for you.  Keep it in that bag and don't let it out of your sight!"  Yes, mam!  Then when I was in line to pay, three different people came up to the cashiers and asked them where the bedspread was located. Then when I pulled it out of my bag, the guy behind me offered to buy it off of me. Nope, this treasure is staying with me.

So what do you think?  Am I crazy?  Have any of you ever gone to drastic measures to score that special piece?

I did pick up a few other items at this sale and I will share those with you next time.

Have a great Tuesday, Thrifter Pals!



3 comments:

  1. HOLY COW, what a treasure and a find! Good for you in being victorious! Your'e not crazy... I shoved a Nun out of the way to get the coffee table that is now in my Den, I suppose i'll have some 'splannin' to do with the big man upstairs one day :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nope, I don't think you're crazy at all! I would have waited that long if there was something I'd been lusting over. Good for you for finding something so special. I'm not familiar with it at all, but it looks like a lot of people were :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi! I found your blog by googling gene Autry chenille bedspread! I just found one at an estate sale and I just coukdn't leave without it. Mine is not in excellent condition and is definitely worn. It needs a bath too. What did you end up doing with yours? I will probably sell mine on etsy, but I'm glad I found your blog.

    ReplyDelete