Welcome To

Welcome To

Tuesday, March 5, 2013

At The Flea & A Bullet Update

For whatever reason, the pickin's were pretty slim at the flea market this weekend.  But I won't complain because my last two trips have yielded some great finds.  I did manage to come home with just the right amount of vintage goodness to make my early morning wake up call worth it.


This is the first piece of pottery that I have found that is a pitcher.  It is a pretty good size and I am imagining it full of flowers and on my dining room table.  I haggled with the lady and she wouldn't budge on the two dollars that I was asking she take off her price.  Then she said "You know what?  You only live once.  Am I really going to hold on to something that you could enjoy for a measly $2?".  That my friends is a dealer after my own heart.


The lady that I bought this from told me that it had been sitting in her basement for the last 25 years and that she was so happy that it was coming home with me. 


These two Fire King Jadite bowls aren't in the best condition but for $4.00 I couldn't pass them up.  They are the perfect size bowls for cat food and water.  Yes, my cat eats out of vintage Fire King bowls. Doesn't yours?


Last year at the flea market, I bought two of these Hazel Atlas bowls but in the larger cereal bowl size.  These are the same size as the Jadite bowls above but will not be used for cat food.  Cat food in perfect and beautiful Hazel Atlas?  That's just crazy!

 

There is a definite theme of things that I buy at the flea market every week.  Vintage cookbooks always manage to come home with me.  Maddie & I decided that once a week, we are going to choose something out of one of our many old cookbooks to make.  It will be a new feature on our blog!

No Pyrex at the flea market this week but I'm okay with that after the score from last time.  However, there is another Pyrex hunter on the loose!  I noticed that every piece of Pyrex that I passed on was gone the next time I made my rounds through.  I need to find out who this person is so that I can keep my eye on them!

So Bullet will be 4 months old on Saturday. He is in that awkward teenager puppy stage where he thinks he is a big dog but still gets his feelings hurt if the older dogs are too rough with him.  He weighs 42 pounds and I think I have a monster on my hands.



I need to figure out how to get the glare out of his eyes in photos.  I'm still hoping that the rest of him manages to catch up with his giant feet. 

Hope you are all having a good & thrifty week!  My husband has a class he has to take in Vancouver, WA on Thursday so I am going to tag along and thrift while he is in class all day.  It's always fun to explore a different area.  Wish me luck!

Linking up with:

Sir Thrift A Lot
It's A Very Cherry World
Apron Thrift Girl
A Living Space

See you there!

Erica

15 comments:

  1. Hope you find the Pyrex prowler and keep one step ahead of him/her at the flea! Love the idea of a once a week recipe from those old cookbooks...beware tho, as there are some really, really odd recipes from the past!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL So kitty food can go into Fire King, but NOT Hazel Atlas? I'll have to remember that!
    Love it all! Especially the pink planter! Bullet is so darn cute! I bet he's going to be huge!
    Erica :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your Bullet is very sweet -- I love that doggie "teenager" gangly look! My favorite of your finds is that pink planter! Lucky you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jealous of your Jadeite scores! No, my kitties do not eat out of Jadeite but they do dine out of vintage Pyrex :) Bullet is looking like such a grownup already. He's adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Can't wait to see what your first recipe choice will be!!

    Good luck on Thursday, we will both be doing the same thing that day and hopefully, finding some good stuff!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. OMG. Giant paws = giant puppy! So cute & so big already. I woulda bought those Jadeite bowls, too. I just want a damn piece of it already.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't want to sound like a snob, BUT Our dog (Corabelle) eats out of Pyrex... haha (Or maybe that would make you look down on us?!) I rehabbed an old Hostess bowl for our darling Corabelle. Bullet is getting to be SO BIG! I look forward to the new "Maddie Kitschy Cooking" segment on the blog, Patricia and I do this quite often with friends and its lots of fun!

    ReplyDelete
  8. My cat used to eat out of vintage restaurantware -- nothing but the best vintage for them! I thought of you this weekend since Vintage Hardware in Astoria was having a *warehouse sale*!! I didn't go but wish I had. Have fun in Vancouver -- lots of thrifts and cute vintage shops there to check out.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lucky cat with the jadeite food bowls! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think you've found a PERFECT use for those jadite bowls! Bullet is getting so big, and he is gorgeous. If you figure out a way to stop the reflection in his eyes, please clue me in! I can photograph one of my dogs fine, but the other one always has glaring eyes, making him appear possessed! :) --Fran

    ReplyDelete
  11. Looking forward to reading about the recipes you try from those fabulous books! Your puppy is a doll!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Erica you did find some great items on your hunts! Love the Hazel Atlas bowls. I have an old jadeite bowl my cats can eat out of also!! :) The pink pottery is always a winner to me! I have some vintage cookbooks also and look forward to your cooking from them! Hugs, Linda

    ReplyDelete
  13. We like the same darn things!!!!!!!!! I can't believe you found $4.00 Jadite!!!!!!!!!! LUCKY!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Can't wait to see what recipe you'll feature out of your vintage cookbook. And Bullet looks like he's gonna be huge!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. My sister always picks up old cookbooks that she finds at sales. The graphics in them are wonderful, as well as the recipes. I thought I was already following you, but realized I wasn't. Well, I am now.

    ReplyDelete