Welcome To

Welcome To

Saturday, August 10, 2013

One Quick Stop Before Plucky

Before heading out of town Thursday morning to meet Hanna for Plucky Maidens, Maddie & I made a stop at an estate sale.  We haven't been to very many good ones this summer so anytime one sounds even a little bit promising, we try and make an effort to get to it.  We were a little rushed but managed to grab some pretty great things.
 
 
Maddie got this suitcase to keep her old magazines in for SMASHing.  We also brought home another little deer friend for our collection.
 
 
 
Last year at the Plucky Maidens Holiday Show, Maddie picked out a jewelry box that had received a little Magpie Ethel Magic from Laurie.  You can see that awesome creation here.  Ever since then, she has been on the lookout for another jewelry box so that she can try her hand at decoupaging.  I will definitely do a blog post when we get around to doing it.  She found the perfect one!
 
 
This pottery vase is unmarked and really heavy.  I was also happy to find the Betty Crocker New Picture Cookbook since I didn't have it yet.
 
 
No way was I leaving this thermos behind, especially with the turquoise lid!  I thought I already had the glass embossed measuring cup but I'm glad I bought it because I actually had the smaller version.  The ice tray is the first that I have ever found that is a double.  I love it!
 
 
A couple of weeks ago, I found a California souvenir tablecloth at an estate sale.  They were asking $40.00 for it and wouldn't budge on the pricing, even though it was pretty stained up and smelled of nicotine.  I really wanted it but for $40, I had to walk away.  Well, I was rewarded for my self control with this pristine & perfect beauty. 

 
My favorite find would have to be the Pyrex blue 402.  After I got home, I did a little digging in my Pyrex cupboard and found out that it was exactly what I needed to complete my Horizon Blue mixing bowl set!
 
 
So after doing a little bit of research, I was able to determine that this set only has three bowls.  There is no 404 blue bowl.  Does that sound right to all you other Pyrex collectors?
 
Now, here is the best part of the sale.....when we went up to pay, the Pyrex bowl and Maddie's suitcase didn't have prices on them.  Everything else added up to $13.  When I told the guy that I owed him $13 plus whatever the suitcase and bowl were, he said to me "How about $10 for it all?".  Sold!  I love honest to goodness estate sales where the sole purpose is to get rid of stuff and not make a ton of money, don't you?

I'm linking up with:

Have A Daily Cup of Mrs. Olson for SYC Thursday
The Thrifty Groove for Thrifty Things Friday
How Sweet The Sound for Pink Saturday
The Cottage Market for Junkin' Joe

Join me!!

~Erica

22 comments:

  1. Just curious. You did not pay anything near $40 for the California tablecloth, did you? Linda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No way! I got everything in this post, including the tablecloth, for 10 bucks!

      Delete
  2. That teal suitcase was actually an Avon lady's carrying case!!! I learned that from a blog reader when I found an identical one awhile back!

    Love that cookbook!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So happy for you that you completed your Pyrex set! Congrats on that CA tablecloth...you got an awesome bargain!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice finds! Love the Horizon Blue set. I've never seen or heard of a 404 though. It's a shame there isn't one, it's such a pretty shade of blue.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It makes me happy to think of you and Maddie going to estate sales together. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. A good jaunt into estate sale land. If Maddie needs any pointers on her jewelry box project let me know..would be happy to help!
    love that deer!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ah, the thrifty gods were looking down on you for sure, $10 for all that! Bet you could sell that CA tablecloth for $40 now, looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wowee! I've never seen or dreamed of a DOUBLE Ice tray, how neat! Can't wait to see what Maddie does to the jewelry box! Have fun at PM! Don't forget to take lots of pictures!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Never seen a double tray, either.

    & yes, I don't think there is a 404. Glad you completed the set - I know you like that pattern.

    I might go to an estate sale this weekend, but probably not. I have no one to go with. I'm nervous. Sale at 8. Tickets at 6:30. I have no idea what to do with myself when I get there.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love that you and Maddie get to have this fun hobby together! I hope that I can pass my love of vintage on to my little girl so we can do the same thing when she's a little older!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You did good, you always do!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congrats on finishing your blue horizon set! Along with Butterprint that is one of my fav patterns. Love the Cali tablecloth!! I have a Florida one that I adore.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow, what a bargain! I love the Pyrex. I have never seen a double ice cube tray. It's so fun and you know I love the thermos with the turquoise lid! Thanks for sharing with SYC.
    hugs,
    Jann

    ReplyDelete
  14. See, why can't all sales be like that? That's so cool.
    I'm excited to see what Maddie does with that jewelry box. I've been itching for some kind of fun vintage inspired project to do myself. And yay for completing your set! I think you're correct, no big bowl with that one. I'm awful with numbers. : )

    ReplyDelete
  15. Awesome finds... and you CAN'T beat that price.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love the suitcase! Excellent scores, this is making me want to hunt again!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow great finds! I have a jewelry box like that one and I love it! Thanks for joining TTF this week.

    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  18. What amazing deals you got! There is nothing quite like the satisfaction of the completed Pyrex set! (I am not that much of a collector so I don't know the answer to your question.)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Holy FABULOUS finds Batman!!!! You sure hit the JACK POT!!!! TFS...hugs...

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love the colors on that cook book! ♥

    ReplyDelete